LO: To explore the weather and climate of Scandinavia.
- use maps, atlases, globes and digital/computer mapping to locate countries and describe climate features.
- interpret data from graphs to make comparisons about regional climate.
Today, we are going to explore the climate of Scandinavia. You will look at maps, photos and graphs to learn about the climate of the region, and also make comparisons with our own climate here in the UK.
What's the difference between weather and climate?
Watch the BBC Clip to find out more.
The Climate of Scandinavia
We are now going to look at four different Scandinavian cities:
- Oslo (Norway)
- Kiruna (Sweden)
- Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Vadso (Norway)
Can you locate them on a map?
- Look at the data sheets, below, which show the average monthly temperatures and precipitation (rainfall) for these Scandinavian cities.
- Draw a line graph to show the average monthly temperatures for these 4 cities. Each city could be a different colour to make it clear.
- OPTIONAL. If you have the time, draw another line graph to show the average monthly precipitation for these 4 cities.
- Use all the data to answer the questions about the climate of these Scandinavian cities.
Research another Scandinavian city to explore its climate.