Holes: Chapter 1 read by Mrs Calzada
Here are some quotes from the text which describe the landscape:
- 'There is no lake at Camp Green Lake. There once was a very large lake here, the largest in Texas. Now it is just a dry, flat wasteland.'
- 'During the summer, the daytime temperature hovers around ninety-five degrees in the shade - if you can find any shade. There's not much shade in a big dry lake.'
The author, Louis Sachar, is from Austin, Texas, so he knows exactly what the environment is like! Let's find out a little more about that part of the world!
ALL ABOUT TEXAS
Create your own ZINE with the title 'All about Texas'.
Try to find out about the geographical features of Texas by answering these questions. Your answers could form different pages of your zine!
If you have forgotten how to make a zine, follow the tutorial below.
1. Looking at a map of the United States, locate the state of TEXAS.
2. Name some of the largest cities in Texas.
3. How would you describe the location of Texas within the USA?Write a sentence to describe the location of the state within the USA.
4. What can you learn about the climate of Texas? Average summer and winter temperatures?
5. Investigate the Chihuahua desert of Texas. Write a short paragraph about this desert.
6. Texas has been in the news recently because of the freezing temperatures and snow storms. Find out more by following the link below. What happened?
7. Investigate some of the wildlife that is mentioned in the text: rattlesnakes and scorpions. Write a short fact file about these creatures.
Spend about 30 - 45 minutes investigating this extraordinary part of the USA.
Hang on to this work, and bring it into school next week!